Sunday, November 8, 2015

Come For a Walk in My Garden

I grew up in beautiful Virginia.  I could see the Blue Ridge Mountains everyday.  I could hike, play in the river and just sit and have such an awesome view of God's great creation.



 I loved wild strawberries, blackberry picking and running through apple orchards, eating apples crisp and juicy.  I had a grandmother who loved to garden.  I can still see her with a gardening tool raised above her head to strike that hard clay soil to plant her many flowers and shrubs.  I would wander around her yard picking, smelling and savoring the flowers.  She grew tulips, roses, flowering almond bush, hydrangea, snow ball bushes, spirea, forsythia, pansies, begonias, poppies and so much more.  I have a love for all of these and have planted many of my own.  We live on 20 acres and have a big yard.  My gardens have evolved as a garden should.  I have gone from a hedged in English garden look to a more open shade tree look in my back yard.  Our house over looks the back on a second level.




 My grandkids needed a place to kick a ball and play volley ball so I opened up the back.  I have had my daughter's beautiful wedding in our back yard.  I have arranged many flower arrangements for church and for my daughter, daughter-in-law and son's wedding.  One was fall and the other was December.  We decorated four Christmas trees for the wedding reception.  Our colors were red, purple and lime green.  I made all the bouquets and arrangements.  The fall wedding was a fun one to decorate for with all of the fall elements and our colors were rusty red, yellows, rosey orange.  I have loved and cherished that I could do these things for our children.  Our first daughter's wedding was at church and a florist did everything except for the reception.  I used ferns on tall columns and made the center piece for food table.  Three weddings of my own children and several where I helped and made some arrangements for other friends.  So lets look at some pictures!


                                                                  Wedding photos







Now for that walk in my garden that I promised you.  These pictures are taken during different seasons.  This is what I call my shade garden which is 100 feet from my back yard.  Lets go!

















































When I was a little girl I told someone that when I grew up I wanted to live in a house made out of flowers.  I think that I have achieved that. I picked wildflowers everyday.  I would pick wild ox-eye daisy and try to pick my favorite color of morning glory.  Queen Anne's lace, orange daylilies, clover and milkweed pods that would pop and send seeds flying through the air are in my memories and part of my soul..  I still love to go home and remember a sweet time of innocent in my life.  



 I love my garden and enjoy it through all the seasons!  I hope you have enjoyed this little walk. I know my grandmother would love my garden and be proud of how she was such a great influence in my life.  Even if your idea of a garden is a seasonal pot of flowers on the front porch, do it!

1 comment: